The advent of cryptocurrencies built on blockchain technology has seen an explosion in opportunities for corporations and individuals in the decentralised finance world.
The Blockchain world, which includes cryptocurrencies, decentralised finance (DeFi), Web3, decentralised autonomous organisations (DAOs), non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and smart contracts can be daunting for corporations and individuals to navigate.
Our Blockchain team brings an integrated approach to this area and draws on expertise across Corporate and Commercial Law, including Corporations Law, Intellectual Property and Information Technology to ensure our clients understand the opportunities and risks associated with Blockchain.
Lawyers in our Blockchain team understand blockchain applications. Blockchain technology provides a platform for a huge range of applications extending far beyond cryptocurrencies and we can help create opportunities for clients in the following areas:
- Work with blockchain engineers to create smart contracts which take account of IP licences and functions.
- Advise on storing IP in blockchains.
- Create legally sound DAO structures, including smart contract creation, funding arrangements and deployment on a blockchain.
- Advise on all aspects of smart contracts – including management and enforcement.
- Draft terms and conditions for blockchain companies.
- Advise on legal obligations and rights in relation to migration and bridging of blockchains.
- Review smart contracts and edit terms and conditions.
- Advise on Web3 and DeFi opportunities and risks.
- Advise on NFTs including transferring intellectual property and other legal rights.
With this industry continuing to grow and evolve at a rate faster than legislation, we assist clients to ensure their businesses are legally compliant with current Australian law and monitor and advise of legislative changes they need to be aware of.