At 9:00 pm on 24 March 2020 Prime Minister Scott Morrison addressed and expanded on the restricted activities that will be in force today 25 March 2020 as of 11:59 pm. These restrictions are:
Non-essential business that are restricted from opening
- Community and recreation centres, health clubs, fitness centres, yoga, barre, spin facilities, saunas, wellness centres, bootcamps;
- Amusement parks and arcades;
- Social, sporting-based activities, swimming pools;
- Cinemas, night clubs, casinos, gambling venues, adult entertainment venues, concert venues, stadiums;
- Beauty therapy, tanning, waxing, nail salons and tattoo parlours;
- Auction houses, gatherings in auction rooms, open houses restricted; and
- Galleries, museums, national institutions, historic sites, libraries, community centres, nonessential facilities, community facilities such as halls.
Non-essential business limitations
- Cafes – remain as takeaway only;
- Personal training is limited to a maximum of 10 people all subject to 4 square metre and social distancing rules;
- Weddings (maximum 5 people) – Couple, Celebrant and Witnesses only and all subject to 4 square metre and social distancing rules ;
- Funerals (maximum 10 people) – all subject to 4 square metre and social distancing rules;
- Food Courts in shopping centres will no longer be able to continue, take away can remain; and
- Private appointments for inspections is subject to 4 square metre and social distancing rules.
The Prime Minister confirmed that outdoor and indoor markets will be addressed specifically by individual states and territories.
Following the Prime Minister’s address, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews reassured that the above measures will come into effect from 11:59 pm today. Andrews also reiterated that supermarkets, petrol stations, banks, post offices and bottle shops – and a number of other essential services – will be staying open. He was very clear to say that this is Stage 2 of measures, and that there will be a Stage 3.
Given the increasing speed of the measures in the last 2 weeks, we believe that stage 3 is likely be in force in the next 2 weeks. This will have a significant impact on businesses and we urge businesses to contact Andrew Douglas on 0488 151 503 to discuss the various workplace flexibility options, determine if there is a need to stand down your employees, and how to do this lawfully and respectfully.
We welcome you to join our free ‘Friday Workplace Briefing’ webinar at 10:30am this Friday (click here to register). This week, we cover the continuing impact of COVID-19 on businesses and provide useful tips to assist you.